Latest video mashup: Lily Allen vs Example - "Kickstarts Fear" (yeah I know it's an oldie now and I really should do something new)

Monday 28 March 2011

Be Good On A Dream

This one might have a bit more of a UK bias - I'm not really sure how well known Beats International is outside of the UK (despite their name!!) For those of you who have never heard of them I'm sure you will have heard of one of their founder members, Norman Cook A.K.A. Fatboy Slim. They themselves created the track "dub be good to me" as a bit of a mashup in itself, sampling The Clash and Ennio Morricone (yeah I know) and getting their vocalist to re-create "just be good to me" from the SOS Band.

Empire Of The Sun are an Aussie Duo that that are certainly known in the UK, but I'm not sure of their following internationally. By sheer coincidence, Toyota have just started running a TV Ad in the UK at the moment featuring "Walking On A Dream" as the music.

From a mashup point of view, there were a lot of challenges to be overcome with this one that I think are simply not evident in the finished version. There was a lot of frequency domain editing in several places to both extract sounds and remove sounds for the more exposed parts. Speeding the vocal up so much also resulted in A LOT of careful editing of the timing of words with time stretching of individual syllables to get it to work. As with all my work I've added a little of me in there too, sometimes subtle, sometimes not, but just enough to "glue" the whole thing together.

This is a mashup many layers deep. Download the mp3

No comments:

Post a Comment